Sunday, September 20, 2009

A new twist on the phrase "having a bad hair day"


I often have bad hair days. It is common with my thick, curly hair. When I was a kid I wished I had straight-as-a-board hair. Not much has changed in 30 odd years as I still wish I had straight hair. Yes, curls can be sweet when you are five. Not so sweet when as an adult you have invested money in every hair serum and defrizzer on the market.
Today I caught a bit of a segment on Steven & Chris. A hair stylist was showing how you can resurrect old hair appliances such as hot rollers. The stylist twisted sections of hair into semi tight ropes, wrapped them around rollers and the hair was held in place by hair clips. The result is softer, wavier curls. In fact, the stylist said this technique gives a more dishevelled, organic look.

Dishevelled and organic? I thought. That describes my hair to a T!

Like twisting hair in semi tight rope, I could certainly spin the phrase "having a bad hair day" into something more palatable to my mind. Since dishevelled hair essentially means organic hair and organic means good and healthy, then having a bad hair day is a good thing, not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, so my hair can look like a frizzy mop and I could proudly say to anyone who questioned my hair style that my hair is organic. And I couldn't get any flack because organic is good. Yes, I can see this working. Maybe not to the point where I wouldn't have to invest any more money into hair creams and defrizzer serum, but enough to ease my mind when I'm having a bad hair day.


1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I know exactly how you feel. Like when they call flat, tired-looking hair "beachy waves"... well, I don't live anywhere near the beach, and my frizzy, lifeless hair would not turn the head of any lifeguard, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete