Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bus follies

I like the idea of public transportation because it makes me feel good. However, the real world experience sometimes the idea surrounding public transit leaves me frustrated.

I regularly have meetings in a busy part of town. It is busy on the best of days. Now, it is in utter chaos due to construction. I have two choices: (1) drive, look for a parking space and freak out when I can't find one. Or (2) take the bus.

Most times, I take the bus. I took the bus today. The bus ride was unremarkable until we got to a major stop along the Transitway. Everyone off, announces the bus driver, because this bus isn't working.

What? It got us here, didn't us? Fine. Get off the bus. Wait for a second bus. Try to quell feelings of panic of possibility being late for meeting. Get on new bus. Cross fingers, hoping new bus doesn't break down. Make it to meeting on time.

Getting home to the suburbs in the middle of the day, so close to rush hour is always interesting. I had just missed an articulated bus, so I waited for another bus. Bus arrives. Door opens and the sight of wall-to-wall people greet me. Although I don't nearly have as much bus riding experience as dear husband, I've been on my share of busy buses and this bus took the cake. There were people crowded around the driver. I had expected the driver to tell me to wait for another bus, but nope, I guess there was enough room for one more because he opened the doors. And he kept on accepting passengers and we kept on making room.

Fish around arms, backpacks and bodies to get tickets into the fare box. Smushed. Try not to get too personal with my fellow bus passengers. Hard not to when everyone is forced to invade each other's personal safety circle. See a line of people smushed together down the aisle of the bus. Praying I don't fall. Praying I don't break an arm trying to hold myself up. Try to move out of the way of people trying to get off at the Park and Ride. Stare back at people giving me dirty looks. (Listen people, not my fault this bus is packed and there is no room for me to get out of your way. Not my fault I've had to stand in the aisle while you've snoozed in your seat!) Admire the new snazzy stop-call system.

In a nutshell, that was my latest bus experience. However, it comes no where close to the many crazy bus stories dear husband has. I still like the idea of public transit. Just not during rush hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment