Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Knitting overdrive



I'm in knitting overdrive and I better get going because despite the fact I've got one project done, I've got several more in the queue.

First off, I've been making these hats (pictured above) since the end of August. I sold several to raise funds for the CIBC Run for the Cure. Selling these hats, along with a bake sale and a garage sale, I managed to raise $270 for the run. I'm very proud of this achievement as I didn't ask friends or family members for a cent, not even dear husband. Times are tough. Besides, it was a bit of a personal challenge for me to see if I could raise the minimum $150 goal through other fundraising initiatives.

I call these my ugly pretty hats because although I do like them, there is a just a hint of tackiness to them. According to my husband, the term “ugly pretty” is a compliment in his seaside hometown, so that’s what I’ve decided to call them. (Ugly pretty shouldn’t be confused with pretty ugly because pretty ugly is certainly not a compliment by any means).

So when I thought I was finished my last ugly pretty hat, I got an order on Saturday to make three pumpkin hats by the end of this week. I am pleased to say the hats are done, but my work isn't done.

So here is in my queue:

* Socks for me. I signed up for a selfish stash-a-long. The premise is to make something for yourself out of your stash. I'm making socks. The last time I made socks was when I was in high school. I made them out of purple acyclic yarn and they were way too big (for the simple fact you don't make socks out of worsted acyclic yarn unless they are Christmas socks). Plus, I don't think I've ever knitted a garment for myself. Lucky for me, deadline is November 30, so I do have time.

* Test knitting a sweater. It is super cute, but it is a very cable-y sweater. I have yet to cast on, but I will soon. Just have to finish printing off the cable charts. I tried doing that last week, but the printer ran out of ink.

* Knitting a market bag for part of a prize pack for my online moms group. It's started, but not done. Now I just have to find where I stashed it. . .

* Darling daughter's preschool shirt. I had initially wanted to make her a back-to-school shirt to mark her first day for preschool. However, I learned at orientation that the kids do a lot of painting and it isn't advisable to send them in nice clothes. It will become her playgroup shirt. I'm halfway done, but I haven't touched it in over a week.

* Hats and mittens for darling daughter. I want to make matching hat and mittens to go with her new fall coat. It shouldn't take long, but I need to find the time.

So as you can see, I'm busy knitting up a storm these days. It has been pretty busy. I hope to finish most of these projects by the end of October. But we shall see as my queue always has a way of growing, not shrinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment