Friday, October 15, 2010

In Remembrance

Today is pregnancy and infant loss awareness day. To be honest, I'm not too sure how I feel about the day. Perhaps it is in close proximity to when I experienced my first known miscarriage and I have a tendency to feel numb around significant dates, including miscarriage anniversaries and estimated due dates. September was a horrible month for me as it was another reminder that I wouldn't be holding a child. I was so glad when October arrived, but again, October has its own challenges.

Firstly, I'm glad there is an awareness day as awareness around this issue is sorely lacking. It may sound cruel, but I won't be lighting a candle tonight. I'm not ready. But I do remember. I remember every day. Instead of lighting a candle, I ran. I really needed to run today. And it helped.

Last weekend I planted tulips bulbs in my front flower garden in honour of the two babies I've lost. In the spring, it will be nice to see them grow and bloom.

As I write this, there is a wave of light happening in Canada and the U.S. I want to thank everyone who lights candles tonight, remembers and spreads awareness of a subject that shouldn't be so taboo.

No comments:

Post a Comment