Monday, November 9, 2009

How do you grocery shop when you live in a bubble?

The inside of my refrigerator tells a subtle tale of the last week.

Yep, it is clean, but we had no food.

It was last Thursday when I officially realized we had no food. I managed to make dinner with some frozen pork chops that I found in the freezer and apples left over from a jaunt to an apple orchard in September. And it was tasty. Thank God for the Internet as it is a great resource in finding recipes that meet paltry ingredient list requirements.

The following night, dear husband had the left over pork chops for dinner and I ate a English muffin with cream cheese, along with some blueberries and yogurt that was set to expire in a couple of days. I wasn't too concern about the yogurt's level of quality. It’s yogurt. Isn’t it already spoiled milk?

It was Saturday afternoon before one of went to the grocery store. Dear husband blinked first and he did the thankless, but necessary, task. It is out of pure laziness that I didn't go out and fix this problem earlier in the week. On Thursday night I went to a spinning class, followed up with a Body Step class on Friday evening. What was dear husband’s excuse, you ask? He claimed he was too tired to do anything other than put darling daughter to bed and pick up toys off the living room floor.

Now, since I’m a stay at home mom, it would make sense that I would go out to the grocery store and buy my family groceries. But since all this H1N1 stuff has happened, I am very careful where I take darling daughter. I thought about stuffing a couple of disinfectant wipes in a Ziplock bag to wipe down the grocery cart, but that still wouldn’t prevent her contracting a cold or the flu if someone was to cough or sneeze. The poor kid. The only time she has left the house was a week ago tomorrow for Kindermusik. And now since Kindermusik is now over, I have no clue when she’ll leave the house. We were suppose to go to a playdate this morning, but I had to cancel because I have a cough and it looks like I may be coming down with a cold. So much for bubble living because it seems the germs can still infect my imaginary force field.

So basically we are suffering from bubble syndrome. And I’m not alone. I surmise from conversations from other moms many feel like they are living in a bubble, trying to limit their children’s interaction with the outside world. And who can blame them or me for that matter? But living in a bubble is boring. And I’m unsure how much longer I can take of this. A woman can only listen to Fred Penner so many times. But that, my loyal readers, is a whole different post for another day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a certified bubble dweller as well, and I feel your pain. Hubby has been instructed to do all the grocery shopping on my behalf, and I basically make him hose himself off when he returns. It's really quite depressing.

    ReplyDelete