Friday, November 13, 2009

The new era of gift giving

I've discovered the secret of holiday shopping.

Life is much easier when you don't do it.

It is as simple as that.

I've decided that I don't want anything for Christmas. I told my mother today not to buy us anything and I told her to pass that message along to my brother. We'll do a gift exchange for the kids, but other than that, save your moolah, I declared.

So if you were contemplating getting me a gift this year, don't bother. Do as the ING Direct guy says: save your money.

Earlier this fall, I spent days decluttering the basement. And it felt good getting rid of stuff. I made numerous trips to Goodwill to unload my unwanted stuff. Anything that I didn't get rid of is now crammed into the small storage closet downstairs. I've got no storage room. And plus, I really don't need anything.

Plus, as a parent, I've got another type of clutter to deal with: toy clutter. Yesterday, I weeding through darling daughter's toy collection upstairs. I introduced new toys and I put away old toys that no longer captures her attention. She'll likely be spoiled this Christmas. And if I was to get gifts, not only would I have to find room for my items, I have to find room for her new toys. Life is already complicated enough. I don't need more complications.

I've already told dear husband he'll be getting a gift certificate of some sort. He's okay with that.

I may sound like scrooge, but in this new era of recessions and downsizing, I say save your money. You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment