Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering modern day heroes

I don't know Master Corporal Marcie Lane. I've never met her. But I think of her and her daughter, Olivia, often.

Like many, I was introduced to Marcie and her family through news stories by CTV Ottawa in September 2008. The news crew profiled Petawawa residents Marcie and her common law husband, Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli. The couple had just welcomed their daughter Olivia into the world. In fact, Marcie labour was induced a week early so Scott could meet and spend time with his baby girl before being deployed to Afghanistan later that month.

The images of the happy, smiling young couple holding their infant daughter have always stuck with me. Although I could relate to what they were going through because at the time darling daughter was about six weeks old, I couldn't comprehend what they were facing; he being sent to a war torn country while his baby daughter and wife stayed in Canada, waiting for his safe return. I know this is a reality for many military families and I have a great admiration for the sacrifices they make for this country.

Like many Canadians, my heart sunk when news broke in March that Scott died when an improvised explosive device exploded while he was on patrol in the Zhari district of Afghanistan. His friend and comrade, Cpl. Tyler Crooks, also died in the attack. My heart went out to his wife and his daughter. He'd never see his daughter grow up and Olivia would never know her father.

Marcie's strength constantly amazes me. Last night I watched a moving piece on her and her daughter on the CBC's The National. If you do have a moment, please watch it. (The piece is called Olivia's hero). Marcie, who is a military photographer, takes the portraits of military personal before they are deployed. These are the same photos are that handed out to the media when a solider is killed. Soldiers call them death photos. But Marcie has a different name for them. "I quickly correct them. It is now your hero portrait," she says.

Marcie says she clearly remembers when she realized Scott wouldn't be coming back to Petawawa safely. The doorbell rang at Friday, March 20 at 6:15 a.m. She sat up in bed and she instantly knew the news that was waiting for her behind her front door. "I said out loud, 'Olivia, daddy's gone.' "


When the news was confirmed, she realized what it meant for her daughter.


"I remember saying, 'No, I have a baby sleeping in her crib upstairs who will never know her dad."


In the days after her husband's death, I remember seeing footage of Marcie standing at attention, saluting her Scott's casket, while holding her daughter. She was so courageous and strong. She was later given Olivia's booties, the same booties she word home from the hospital. They were found in the secret pocket inside Scott's uniform.


Towards the end of the National segment I was crying. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I've never met Marcie and I never had the opportunity to meet her husband. But I just want her to know that Scott isn't only Olivia's hero. He, and all his comrades who have sacrificed their lives while serving in Afghanistan, are my heroes too. And I'm sure a lot of Canadians feel the same way I do.

1 comment:

  1. I came upon your blog by mistake. I was actually looking for pictures of yesterdays Rememberance day ceremony. Scott was a very close friend of mine. I think it's nice that his story has touched you like this and that Scott is your hero too. Thank you for acknowledging his sacrifice and helping share his story.

    ReplyDelete