Friday, November 6, 2009

My question was sort of answered . . .

Yesterday, I blogged about my excitement of having a question I submitted to a radio station read on air. For days, I've been puzzled about a media report I heard on the radio that stated the World Health Organization was recommending the half dose of the H1N1 vaccine was sufficient for young children and the booster wasn't required. However, I've been having difficulties finding another news article or a WHO press release that confirms the news report I heard.

So when CFRA announced it was accepting questions from listeners, I quickly sent off a short email, asking if my daughter needed the booster. And I got my question answered, well, sort of.

Dr. Vera Etches, associate medical officer of health with Ottawa Public Health, said the second shot is being discussed and a recommendation whether it is needed or not should be coming soon. She hopes the recommendation is made before the first round of children, who received a vaccine a week and a half ago, reach day 21. When we took darling daughter to the vaccine clinic last Saturday we were told she'd need a booster in 21 days. I know a lot of parents are anxious to learn if the booster is required. Hopefully some kind of recommendation, made nationally or locally, is made in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment