Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Who do I petition to get the morning nap back?

It is official. Darling daughter has given up her morning nap.

God help us all.

I must say we had a good 14 1/2 month run. I've heard on the street that babies give up their naps around the time they approach their first birthday. I'm not too sure how true this is. There is also a nasty rumour floating around that toddlers eventually give up napping altogether. That gives me the shivers. Regardless, the situation I now face is darling daughter is not longer napping between the hours of 9 and 10 a.m.

While darling daughter may not miss her morning nap, I do. I miss it tremendously. I miss that hour to myself. That was the time I would typically take a shower and get ready for the day. Now I'm forced to take a quick shower and hope darling daughter doesn't get too bored playing in her crib and start flinging her toys onto the floor.

By lunchtime she is ready for a nap. Going for a nap time around lunch time has its pros and cons, the main con being she'll be back up and raring to go at 2 p.m. Her previous afternoon nap time was around 1:30 or 2 p.m. So while she was napping, I'd have some leisure time to myself. That three hour period between 2 and 5 p.m. is long. Too long. Way too long. Today I found myself counting down to 5 p.m. Darling daughter wasn't helping matters by flinging her toys over one of the baby gates and into the stairwell below. I even found one of the Trofast bins at the bottom the stairs.

I knew this day was coming, but I was in denial. I'm still in denial. I'm still hoping she'll reconsider and go back to the morning nap. If not, I guess I'll have to adjust to the new reality. So farewell morning nap. You'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment